One of my favorite places to eat here in the Phoenix area is True Food Kitchen. They embody my three favorite things in a restaurant – healthy, delicious and relaxing. Sitting out on the wrap-around porch, sipping “The Natural” and enjoying light fare puts me in a perpetual summer mood, whether it’s August or February. You know, that feeling of being on vacation with only thoughts of “I have no place to be, I may as well stay here and have another”.
Well, you can only imagine my excitement when I found I could bring a little piece of that bliss home with me. No, not the wrap-around porch, although that would be my preference. I’m referring to their delicious ginger soda drink called “The Natural”. It’s refreshing, yummy and easy to make. I found the recipe on the Phoenix New Times website after a quick Google search and I was very pleased with the outcome. I make it one glass at a time instead of by the pitcher since the Club Soda will lose its fizz quickly – just a word of caution. If you like ginger, this drink is for you!
½ cup Agave Nectar
1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finally chopped
1 cup Sparkling Water
Ginger Soda (pitcher)
½ Cup Ginger Syrup
3 Cups Sparkling Water
1. To make the syrup first peel the ginger
2. Next grate the ginger on a cheese grater
3. Measure out the Agave nectar (1/2 cup)
4. Measure out the Sparkling Water (1 cup)
5. Place the agave nectar, ginger, and sparkling water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until your house fills with a strong smell of ginger, about 1 hour. Let cool.
6. NOTE: you can refrigerate this mixture for up to 1 week
7. To make the soda: By the pitcher, combine ½ cup syrup with the soda water. By the glass, combine 2 teaspoons of the syrup with soda water
8. Pour over ice and serve cold