Delaney’s Birth Story

My ideal labor and delivery would have been to go into labor on my own and spend most of it being mobile – walking the halls, stretching my legs, etc.  Well, it didn’t quite work out that way for me.  At 41 weeks and one day, my doctor decided it was time to induce.

On May 19th at 11:45am, I was admitted to the hospital – to a tiny triage room where I was set up with an IV and put on a heartrate & contraction rate monitor.  The good news is I was having fairly steady contractions on my own, they just weren’t intense enough to get things moving along.

At 1:20pm, I was hooked up on Pitocin which was steadily increased every 15 mins.  The intensity of my contractions stayed pretty mild over the next few hours.

At 4:45pm, the doctor came in to break my water.  This, along with more Pitocin, set things into high gear.

At 6:40pm, I was moved into the fancy Labor & Delivery Suite, where I endured the brunt of my contractions for about 1 hr 15 min while waiting for the anesthesiologist to make his rounds.

At 8:10pm, the epidural was administered and I start to feel grand.  Tyson almost passes out while the doctor explains what he is doing.  I’ve never seen the guy look so ashen in my life, poor thing.  My right leg went completely numb so I had absolutely no mobility on that side.  At 8:35pm, my dilation is checked and I’m a “strong 3 cm”.

Contractions continue to increase, unbeknownst to me (I had Tyson constantly checking the monitors), and I get in a quick cat nap.

At 10:40pm, the L&D nurse checks on me and asks “How do you feel about having this baby before midnight?”  I was shocked.  I had just gone from a “strong 3” to 10 cm in about 2.5 hours.

At 10:50pm, I begin pushing with the nurse until my doctor arrives.  Apparently I’m a strong pusher for having absolutely no feeling from the waist down and a completely useless right leg, because the baby just starts to appear before my doctor has even arrived.  The nurse was working on a back up plan in case D came before the doctor – it was that close.  But the doctor made it just in time for the last few pushes.

At 11:27pm, Delaney was born at 7 lbs 15 oz and 20 inches long.  She is healthy, happy and beautiful.

So, although I was bedridden for most of my 12 hour labor, and I didn’t get to walk the halls while I heroically managed through each contraction, it was an amazing experience.  The nursing staff was fabulous and all three of us were very well cared for.  Tyson was a great wing-man and made sure I was always content, which I was.


Filed under Family

5 responses to “Delaney’s Birth Story

  1. Sounds like a wonderful birth! Isn’t it funny that the mothers reaction to “are you ready to have this baby?” is always surprise and shock, lol! I felt the same way both times…like, “really? now?” somehow it never seems like it will really happen. Enjoy your little bundle!

  2. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story. So happy that every one is healthy. Congratulations! Welcome to the amazing world of motherhood.

  3. Kirsten, you’re so right. I kept being told I would probably deliver around 4 or 5am, so I thought I was going to get in another nap and possibly watch some of the late night shows. 🙂 I’m glad it went fast though.

  4. Erin

    …Looking adorable until the last day of pregnancy… having no troubles whatsoever… AND an easy (if you can call it that) delivery… You are ALMOST making me want to have one 🙂 …almost…

  5. Very great read! Honest!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s